Wednesday, January 26, 2011

quick tip - chronic pain

A majority of my clients come to me with consistent problem areas.  Tight muscles created by repeating an action over and over which stresses the muscle and at a frequency which disallows the muscle to heal properly.  I created my membership programs with this in mind.

In many cases, the offending action is work-related; and while we'd all love to take a month off to rest our bodies, reality usually forbids it.  Thus we must create a management program to help reduce symptoms and manage pain.

Personally, massage comprises a major part of my plan.  In addition to receiving regular sessions, I exercise, stretch, rest well, watch my posture when I'm using the offending area, meditate and do-self Reiki to reduce stress, and lately I have been improving my diet.  Putting all of these things together helps keep the pain at bay and my range of motion in tact.

I found a list of "warning signs" that indicate repetitive stress injuries on www.massagemag.com (Massage Magazine's website).  Here is the list.

"• Stiffness
• Weakness
• Fatigue
• Difficulty using body part
• Waking up with pain
• Tingling, numbness and burning
• Recurring pain
• Lack of endurance
• Feeling of heaviness in body part"

Feeling these sensations consistently in an area tells you that you need to start taking steps to care for that area.  

1 comment:

  1. PS- If you have problem areas like this, you should consider trying out a 45-minute to an hour session just on your target area. It allows us therapists to go through the muscle with a more targeted approach and can lead to great results!

    ReplyDelete